Thursday, November 8, 2012

C4T #3

Post 1
Image of WritePadI was assigned to Liz Davis's blog, The Power of Educational Technology, for the C4T #3 assignment. I commented on her most recent post, iPad Ideas for October 17, 2012. In her post, Ms. Davis shared two apps/websites that teachers and students can use in the classroom. The first idea was the app WritePad. WritePad is an app that allows students to take notes or write papers on the iPad in their own handwriting that will be translated into typed text as they write. The app syncs to Dropbox and Google Drive, making the document viewable from any computer and by any person of which the document is shared. The second idea was a website, learnboost.com. Learnboost.com is an online grading website that works well on the iPad. It allows teachers to post grades from the iPad and access them anywhere, anytime, as long as there is internet access. 
In my comment for Ms. Davis, I mentioned my blog post on the iSchool Initiative. In that post, I mentioned how I was unsure how to incorporate the iPad into a classroom and keep emphasis on handwriting and the writing process. Ms. Davis's post showed me an app, WritePad, that can be used in the classroom to keep handwriting present. Students would still be required to use the writing process to be sure that the app correctly translated their writing to a typed document. Their handwriting must be readable for the app to translate their writing to a typed document. I could view their final work through Google Drive and post grades to a website and be able to access their work and grades from any device with internet access. The only downside to the WritePad app is the cost, $9.99, which could get pricey to download on each student's iPad.

Post 2
Liz Davis's most recent blog post, Technology is NOT just a tool, was posted on November 4, 2012. In her post, Ms. Davis shared about a recent [fabulous] conference that she attended where the Key Note speaker referred to technology as just a tool. Obviously, by the title of her post, Ms. Davis disagrees with the statement. Technology tools are used not only to impact teaching and learning, but as a status symbol and political statement (mac vs. pc). The technology we use says more about us and our schools than we may realize and we need to be sure that we are sending the right message.
In my comment for Ms. Davis, I agreed that technology is not just a tool. I know that I am judged every day because of the type of phone I use. I am aware of the judgment and it affects my life. Each day, before I get out of my car, I make sure that I tuck my iPhone cord into my middle console. Why do I do this? I do this to avoid the possibility of my car being broken into because someone sees my iPhone cord. I am aware that people may think I am wealthy because I have an iPhone and break into my car hoping to find something nice. The truth is... I am a broke college student with a full time job. Just like my iPhone makes a statement about me, the technology we use in our classrooms makes a statement about our school and school system. While technology is a tool we use in our classrooms, it shouldn't be just a tool... it should be a way of teaching. 

1 comment:

  1. Quite an interaction. That is a byproduct of C4T.

    Interesting commentary on technology not being tools!

    Very well done.

    ReplyDelete